This might be the easiest baking I’ve ever done. I came across this recipe a week ago and have been craving it since. Tonight I finally gave in and made it. Henry grew increasingly restless as aromas of cinnamon and cake filled the house. With Chris’s approval, I gave the poor puppy a few (big, crumbly) morsels. The crust is my favorite part.
Bonus: I cut the sugar in half with Splenda. Chris hasn’t noticed, and I’m not sure I can tell.
Here’s the recipe, with my slightly altered directions.
Cinnamon Sugar Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1 cup sugar. Add egg, milk, and oil to flour mixture. Stir until smooth (small lumps are okay).
- Stir together the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Lightly grease a 9″ loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour half of the batter into pan.
- Sprinkle with about half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture. With a fork, swirl the topping into the batter until it is marbleized.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.