Yes, she actually eats these. Mommy is ever in a quest for baby-friendly nutritious finger foods.
- About 4 cups cooked quinoa (the yield from 2 cups uncooked quinoa), cooled. Prepare the quinoa with broth or water, as you like. I cook it in a rice cooker.
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 medium-large bananas
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 F. On a cookie sheet, bake the bananas until the skins turn black and they are soft. Meanwhile, grease another cookie sheet. When the bananas are done, take them out of the oven to cool. Reduce the oven to 350 F.
- Cook/steam the frozen vegetables. I do this in the microwave using a steamer basket.
- Peel the bananas (carefully!) and dump them into a large mixing bowl. Add the quinoa and vegetables, alternating in small quantities, to combine and distribute evenly. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Roll nuggets in baby-friendly size (about 1-inch diameter) and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes or however long it takes for the nuggets to hold their shape. Don’t bake for too long or they will be dry.
These freeze and thaw reasonably well; I pack them in an ice cube tray so that they don’t freeze together.