This recipe is a slight variation of one that my friend Alli makes — so good! I made some for our road trip to Pittsburgh, and Madeline chowed down in her “trough,” as Anittah says.
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 2 small or 1 large), drained (I leave it to drain in a sieve overnight in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap and weighted with an apple or other round object, and I also blot with towels just before adding to the batter)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini morsels
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking pan (I use the butter wrappers — less mess!). Sift together the dry ingredients (the first six) and set aside.
- Beat together the butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs.
- Add in the dry mixture 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to blend.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the zucchini, lemon juice, and chocolate morsels. Fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for about an hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.