Another easy baby-approved meal. Bacon for the win. Quiches and pies are fall favorites around here. (Bacon fat + pie crust = maybe not the healthiest meal, but M needs some more baby fat rolls before I worry about that.)
- 3/4 lb bacon (lower sodium preferred for baby), cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 lb shredded gruyere cheese
- 9-inch pie crust in a pie pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Over medium-low heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain off fat as needed, leaving 2-3 tablespoons in the pan. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to drain.
- Add onions to the fat in the pan and brown over medium-low heat, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pierce holes or slits (use a fork or knife) in the pie crust bottom. Bake the pie crust for 5 minutes and remove from oven.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper together until blended.
- Layer ingredients in the pie shell as follows:
- At the bottom, place 3/4 of the cheese and spread evenly.
- Spread a layer of half the bacon, then half the onions, and repeat with the other half of bacon and onions.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Pour the egg mixture over all the ingredients to fill the pie pan enough to just cover the top layer of cheese. If needed, add another egg blended with 1/2 cup of milk.
- Bake quiche for 30 minutes or until center is set.